Our core assessment tools
Click on links below to find out more about our assessment tools
“We use the LPI as the benchmark measurement for our leadership. It is a surprisingly insightful tool for such a time efficient 360 assessment. Its greatest strength is the follow up training available with world-class Leadership Challenge facilitators like WorkSmart.”
—Nathalie McNeil, Head of HR, Novartis Australia
The Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) is world’s premier and most validated online leadership 360 degree feedback assessment. It can be used as a standalone leadership assessment or in conjunction with one of our Leadership Development programs or Coaching packages.
The LPI measures the frequency of observable leadership practices—it gets straight to the heart of what managers of all levels need to do to practically improve their leadership effectiveness. The LPI is a questionnaire with thirty behavioural statements—six for each of The Five Exemplary Leadership Practices® . It only takes about 15 to 20 minutes to complete. Leaders rate themselves and invite a range of people they work with to provide insight into their leadership behaviours. There are also several customizable open-ended questions to allow for more specific and detailed feedback. Direct and honest feedback is encouraged through strict protection of anonymity—with the exception of the Leader’s manager.
How important is it to measure the 5 Practices of Exemplary Leadership®?
A recent study conducted on 94 large companies (avg. annual income of $17.4 billion) by researcher and author Richard Roi discovered that companies applying the 5 Exemplary Leadership Practices® (as measured by the LPI 360), achieved:
- An average stock price growth of 204% in 10 years
- A net income growth of 841%
- Companies ranked as having weak transformational leadership practices achieved
- An average stock price growth of 76%
- A net income decrease of 49%
Download our LPI Overview Brochure
The Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) is world’s most popular and most validated online leadership 360 degree feedback assessment. Download our LPI overview brochure for full details.
About the LPI
- The LPI is the world’s premier 360 leadership assessment. Over 4 million people have participated in the LPI assessment and over 500 masters and doctoral theses have been written using the LPI.
- The LPI measures leadership practices proven (in numerous studies) to have a substantial impact on organisational success.
- All assessments include a comparison to 500 000 leaders who have taken the LPI. This ensures leaders understand where they rank in comparison to other leaders. This data is far more important than the empirical data, and is a key feature of the LPI. Australian norm data is also available.
- With only 30 questions, The LPI is the shortest leadership 360 in the market today, making it time efficient for users without sacrificing insight or quality.
- The 30 questions have been repeatedly validated over a 25 year period, making them extremely robust.
- The LPI has 4 open ended questions at the end of the 30 rating style questions. These 4 questions can be tailored according to organisational needs.
- The LPI comes with both an individual and group reporting option i.e. clients can get group average reports for different divisions, the whole organisation etc.
- Comparison reporting is also available for repeat assessments.
- Reporting is in full colour.
- The LPI comes with an e-mail based follow-up system, designed by WorkSmart. This system delivers leadership tips and practices via e-mail to LPI users over a 12 week period as a support to their post assessment practice.
- The LPI can also be completed using a paper based system, and these results can be collated into the online system.
- The LPI can accommodate unlimited number of observers per leader without any additional cost
- The LPI is based on the best selling Leadership Challenge® research, a long standing model that has a wonderful resource base behind it in terms of books, articles, blogs, videos, training courses etc.
As the representatives of the LPI in Australia, WorkSmart has taken thousands of leaders through this feedback process and we’ve learned a few things along the way. One key obvious conclusion is that leaders are busy and that everything possible must be done to make the process smooth and simple.
As a result of our experience, we’ve developed a comprehensive support program to accompany the LPI which takes away the hassle and worry from those responsible for the program, while thoroughly supporting leaders in their efforts to achieve comprehensive results.
Here’s what the service program entails:
- We work closely our clients to develop a customized welcome email and simple instructions for the leaders.
- We develop a tight schedule of key dates for the program including a contingency window for a program extension, if necessary.
- While the program is running we send out twice-weekly reminders to all outstanding Leaders and Observers to maximize completion rates.
- With the same frequency, we send out Status Reports to the client to indicate how the group is progressing.
- On the morning of the final day of the program, we send out a reminder to all outstanding observers.
- At COB that same day we send a final Status Report to the client project manager and make a decision to extend by one additional week or close it off.
- If extended, we continue with the same process for another week.
- Upon completion, we send out individual and group reports and graphs to the client within 24 hours.
- If the leader or team has previously completed an LPI, we can generate any number of comparative reports to track individual or group progress with their Leadership Development.
In short, any feedback process requires this level of detailed care to run successfully. WorkSmart is committed to this full level of service to ensure outstanding results while remaining extremely price-competitive.
We have several debrief options on the LPI. These are context and budget dependent. From lowest to highest cost they are as follows:
- On-Line LPI Debrief Basic Package (our lowest cost debrief at $175)
- On-Line LPI Debrief Basic Package + Coaching
- On-Line LPI Debrief Basic Package + Leader-Led Facilitation– Half Day
- On-Line LPI Debrief Basic Package + Leader-Led Facilitation – Full Day
- The Leadership Challenge Workshop – 2 days
For details on what each of these packages contains please contact us.
Additional assessment tools we use are:
LPI® Coach Certificate Program offers an in-depth exploration of the LPI®: Leadership Practices Inventory®, the cornerstone of the powerful evidence-based leadership development program created by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner, authors of the best-selling book The Leadership Challenge®.
In this program, attendees will learn about the evidence behind and development of the instrument from Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner, become familiar with the intricacies of the LPI reports, and understand how to effectively help leaders make sense of their feedback, in both a group setting and one-on-one coaching.
Who Should Attend
Leadership Development Professionals – (Internal Training, HR, OD, or Talent Management), Management and Leadership Consultants, and Professors/Educators.
Ideally, participants should already have an understanding of The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership®, and some familiarity with the LPI Feedback Report format.
Upon completion of LPI: Leadership Practices Inventory Coach Certificate Program, participants will have:
- Gained a deeper understanding of the different ways to leverage the LPI reports to help aspiring leaders plan for their future development and affect positive change.
- Increased their personal competency in the use and delivery of the LPI.
- Increased their knowledge and understanding of the the statistical credibility of the instrument.
- Explored and practiced the coaching skills required to optimize the use of the LPI within a variety of leadership development situations.
In advance of the program, participants will be expected to:
- Complete their own LPI 360 assessment and review their results with a LPI Coach
- Read The Leadership Challenge, 5th Edition book
- Engage in two or more LPI feedback sessions
Prices range from AUD$180 to AUD$300 per LPI 360 assessment. Prices depend on volume and preferred service levels. Please contact us for further details.
Sample LPI Reports
The LPI delivers in-depth reports that enable your leaders and your organisation to gain insight into entire groups of leaders or compare results over multiple assessments to gauge development.